Make science accessible.
Sparrho connects the curious public with the latest science that empowers them to make informed decisions, making a positive impact on the world.
- Main Location: EST / CST / GMT
- Remote Policy: Remote-first, with your main location being within the EST / CST / GMT time zone
- Team: Content
- Contract: Full-time
Sparrho, a science discovery startup with a mission to democratize the access and understanding of science is looking for a versatile Scientific Content Creator. Having acquired a PhD in Cancer / Climate and Environment / Mental Health and Wellbeing research, you will possess finely-attuned skills to communicate science in a relevant, accurate, representative, unambiguous and independent way.
Working to tight deadlines, along with Sparrho’s Content Lead and Senior Editor you will create jargon-light, easy-to-read scientific summaries for our science-curious but non-expert audience.
You will be guided by our mission to serve them with content that is relevant to their everyday lives and empowers them to make informed decisions, making a positive impact on the world. Possessing an inquisitive scientific mindset, you will not just write but review content, written by your fellow Content Creators who specialize in other fields.
You will contribute to the execution of Sparrho’s content strategy by executing content ideas suggested by the Senior Editor and pitching topics yourself. This role will report to Sparrho’s Head of Content.
What you'll do:
- Generate content based on topics assigned to you in the Content Calendar by the Senior Editor and/or pitch topic ideas to them
- Generate content following the writing brief and tone of voice to create material relevant to our lay audience (‘the curious public’)
- In creating content be guided by the needs of our audience (explained in our writing brief) to keep the content easy-to-understand, jargon-free but true to scientific integrity and objectivity.
- Discuss and agree on angles with the Senior Editor
- Be comfortable to create content for your wider area of expertise (i.e. Cancer, Environment, Mental Health) and not just the narrower research subject
- Own the publishing workflow for your content, ensure its timely publication via CMS according to agreed publication frequency
- Peer review content created by your fellow Content Creators – be comfortable to check the scientific integrity and critique material of their content, even if it is not in your narrow field of specialism
- Act as a second pair of eyes on all content to ensure it meets scientific integrity, accuracy, crediting and editing standards.
- Coordinate the production of graphics when needed
- Hypothesize ways to improve throughput time of content flowchart, run experiments to test hypotheses, measure results and iterate on publishing workflow best practices
- Optimize production processes to scale content output
- Be guided by Sparrho’s ethos to democratize science in the dissemination of factually correct information
- A passion to communicate science to a non-expert audience
- Educated to PhD level in the following broad fields (Cancer/Environment-Climate Change/Mental health and Mindfulness)
- Highly organized and the ability to communicate with multiple stakeholders
- Native-equivalent level English grammar and spelling, adherence to style guidelines
- An understanding of the societal value of fact-based, objective information
Great to haves:
- A track record in a science communications role
- Hands-on experience with online publishing tools
- Familiarity with the digital design and creative process
- Online writing or copywriting experience
- Analyzing web analytics data
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS
- Managing social media accounts
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
Trust in current sources of information is at a record low, so it’s an exciting time to be joining Sparrho as we begin to open up access to science for the curious public. Our content is authored by experts, checked for integrity and edited for simplicity. By cementing trust in facts globally, we aim to empower people to make informed decisions that have a meaningful impact.
At Sparrho, we celebrate and support diversity and are committed to fair and inclusive hiring practices. We take a remote-first approach to work, with a team that spans across Europe and North America. To ensure we all stay connected, we host regular virtual coffees and meet up in-person twice a year at our company-wide off-sites, which are held in various countries around the world.
What we value:
How to apply:
If you’re interested in this position and want to take part in shaping a future where science is accessible and trusted, then we want to hear from you! Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org